Often I feel uncomfortable when I am sleeping more than necessary, or when I play video-games or watch movies or series. So regarding to this feeling I’ve been investigating and I will gather some information about how to solve this uncomfortable feeling, also will post some useful quotes and a final conclusion.
“Thinking before taking actions is useful only if you are going to take action, otherwise you are wasting time and insulting your mind.”
― Amit Kalantri
This is a really good quote. Now moaning, complaining, worrying and overthinking is a waste of time. Instead take action or time to think about doing productive stuff. Agreed.
Regarding this quote: First of all, as human beings we deserve to be happy. Now how to achieve this state of emotional joy? Well, according to Martin Seligman launched a theory called PERMA where humans seem happiest when they have (amongst other things):
- Pleasure (tasty food, warm baths, etc.),
- Engagement (or flow, the absorption of an enjoyed yet challenging activity),
- Relationships (social ties have turned out to be extremely reliable indicator of happiness),
- Meaning (a perceived quest or belonging to something bigger), and
- Accomplishments (having realized tangible goals).
Now we should find what gives us more state of happiness from this list but be careful with pleasure.
- “Pleasure” is all about “immediate gratification” of the body and/or ego – and often includes lack of moderation, lack of insightful judgment and lack of being aware of longterm consequences. Pleasure is about being impulse-driven in your choice-making. Unlike “true happiness,” pleasure merely brings a temporary blip of joy -which is unsatisfying in the long run.
- “Happiness” in contrast often has a time delay till that “feel good high” kicks in – but it creates “long-haul joy” – because it’s all about growing into your highest potential. It’ s about being growth-driven in your choice-making. True happiness comes when you prioritize wanting to bloom into your best favorite you – recognizing “insight and growth” as your purpose for being here on this planet – not the temporary superficial high of pleasure. Pithily put: True happiness comes when you surround yourself with people and experiences which increase your soul’s self-development—hence the joy lasts as long as you last—because the joy created becomes an integral part of who you are as a unique, thriving individual
So my conclusion is Pleasure is good when you have a real happiness as a background and you add pleasure to it or when you add a moderate amount of it. But If you add pleasure when you lack of real happiness say drug addicts that hate their life, or people who play a lot of videogames or people who don’t get out of their room (comfort zone) then you’re comming from the wrong side.
To end this post:
STOP: Playing a lot of videogames, watching a lot of movies or serials, sitting on the computer all day, sleeping all day and START: Setting goals, achieve them, limit the amount of pleasurable things, cultivate yourself, make someone happy, form relations with people, help others, do something for the humanity and when you reach 90 years YOU WILL FEEL SATISFIED WITH YOUR LIFE.